At Media Shower, we have worked with 500+ clients on high-performing marketing content like blog posts, landing pages, and industry reports. And we’ve learned something important.
Most of our clients think of their campaigns as “one and done.” Work on the content, launch it, then move onto the next thing.
We’ve found a better way.
We’ve had 10x better results with a practice of measuring which content is performing best, then regularly optimizing it to make it even better. It’s spotting your diamonds in the rough, then cutting and polishing them into incredibly valuable gems.
In this guide, we’ll show you a few of these content optimization success stories and reveal the playbook that we use.
Bitcoin Market Journal: Weekly Updates of Hard-To-Find Information
Note: Bitcoin Market Journal is a publication of Media Shower, focused on responsible digital asset and DeFi investment research.
One of the significant challenges of creating content in the digital asset industry is balancing the demand for insight and up-to-date information. You’ve got to be fast, but you’ve also got to be accurate.
This space is incredibly competitive, with thousands of sites covering the industry. But reliable information is often hard to find, especially when it comes to real-time updates of real-time rates.
Take, for example, one of our most popular articles, listing current Stablecoin Interest Rates.
For those unfamiliar with digital assets, a “stablecoin” is an asset where the token is pegged to a traditional currency, like the U.S. dollar. Investors can invest these stablecoins in interest-bearing accounts, much like investing dollars in a savings account or money market fund.
We wanted to ensure that visitors found our page at the top of Google when they searched for stablecoin rates.
The article’s structure is relatively simple: we provide short but well-researched descriptions of each stablecoin and lending platform. We launched with a simple page, to see how users liked it.
Our approach is to watch our pages using third-party tools like AHREFs, and when they start attracting organic keywords in Google, to double down on our early winners.
So as this page gained traction in Google, we developed an optimization plan:
- Make sure that our page holds the latest rates at any given time.
- Update project and platform descriptions as needed.
- Provide additional educational information for people who might also land on the page for reasons other than checking rates (for example, Frequently Asked Questions).
Then we developed an optimization schedule, to update this article every week:
- Updating a table of the top five stablecoins and the current interest rates.
- Refreshing any information related to those platforms.
- Removing any outdated information, adding new content as needed.
Additionally, our writers refresh the page itself a few times per year, making structural changes as needed. The results?
- This page regularly rates on the first page of Google SERPs, currently in the #1 spot for “stablecoin interest rates.”
- The article also has the Featured Snippet section for this search term:
This is a strategy that we’ve carried over into other articles of the same type, all of which are ranked in the top SERPs position with a Featured Snippet.
The approach in a nutshell: we create well-researched pages around hard-to-find information. We launch small, watch for traction in Google, then double down on our winners. This is the winning optimization approach.
Media Shower: Adding AI Resources
When we began exploring AI tools for marketers, our “start small” approach was to create pages with lists of prompts that marketers could use in tools like ChatGPT.
As these started getting traction in Google, we made a major upgrade, developing our own AI chatbot assistants that marketers could use immediately, right in the page.
As this approach has gained more and more traffic, we’ve developed more and more AI assistants for our most popular pages. Take, for example, our article on the Top 15 Content Distribution Channels:
This page is often in our top 10 performers based on keyword placement and rankings. The original article was an informative list of content distribution platforms divided into categories (press releases, social media advertising, influencer matching, etc.).
We added a new AI assistant that now gives marketers help with a content distribution plan for their business. Because people are now more engaged with the page – and with our site – the rankings continue to climb.
This page now ranks highly for key terms such as “content distribution services,” “content distribution companies,” and “media distribution companies” (all at #1 position).
We’ve used this AI playbook to greatly increase the value of many other pages. Take, for example, our Quick Guide to Marketing and Sales One-Pagers:
This page has quickly shot to one of our most valuable pages over the past six months. What started as a straightforward guide to one-pagers now includes:
- Several real-world examples of well-designed one-pagers,
- An example of an AI-generated one-pager outline, and
- Our AI-powered one-pager generator.
The page now ranks highly with keywords such as “one pager examples,” attracting nearly 100 new keywords over the last quarter. We’re also featuring these refreshes in our weekly newsletter, which has increased engagement significantly.
Again, we started small, looked for traction, then optimized and improved. Since launching these new AI assistants, we’ve seen these pages consistently show up as our fastest-growing assets both in traffic and ranking:
Food Industry Client: Using Original Research
Wellness and nutrition is another competitive industry, and while content in this topic area is popular, there’s a lot of it. It takes a new strategy to get your food-related content in front of buyers in search results.
One of our food industry clients had hundreds of pages developed by Media Shower, which we optimized heavily for 2024. Using our playbook, we:
- Started small, looked for traction, then doubled down on our top performers.
- Looked for current industry trends and reworked the top performers to tie into those trends.
- Leveraged original data, provided by the client from their in-house research reports, to support or provide additional context for these trends.
By leveraging original data, that was available nowhere else, these articles steadily gained keyword rankings. In a few months, 17 of these keywords ranked on page one of Google, with a total traffic increase of 76% year-over-year.
By positioning our client as the trend reporter of their industry, they actually became a trend setter, and one of the most popular go-to destinations for other food industry executives.
Remember: these results stick. Unlike paid search, where your traffic stops the instant you turn off your AdWords campaign, organic results last for months and years.
How Often Should I Optimize?
Some good rules of thumb:
- Weekly or monthly for constantly changing information like rates, fees, or prices. Note that this kind of update schedule only works if you have reliable data sources for the information in question.
- Quarterly for developing industries and topics. For example, we regularly update Bitcoin Market Journal articles to reflect breaking news stories, such as the SEC approval of a bitcoin ETF (a massive event that our audience will discuss for months moving forward).
- Annually for longer-term topics like trends. Anything like annual guides, updates, or industry reports fall into this category. Don’t forget that annual content like “The Best Widgets in 2024” can be updated in 2025 and beyond!
Look for traction.
Double down on your winners.
Creating wildly successful websites with loads of traffic is a long game. You’ve got to throw a lot of stuff at the wall, and eventually some of it will stick. Take the sticky stuff, make it even stickier. Rinse and repeat.
Many people think SEO is something you do before the content is published. Our approach is the reverse: of course we launch with good SEO, but we do a lot more optimization after the fact, to make our winners even stronger and better.
There’s no shortcut, except using a company like Media Shower to help you. When you’re ready, give us a call.
We’re ready to make your marketing content work for you, today and a year from today. Get Better. Content. Faster.