For busy marketing managers, creating customer personas is a time-consuming process. In this guide, we’ll share AI prompts, FAQs, and our battle-tested best practices to help you generate customer persona docs, faster and easier.
Elevate your marketing with Media Shower’s award-winning team and persona insights. Click for a demo.
First, Generate Your Marketing Overview
Paste the following prompt into ChatGPT or a similar AI tool:
Hello! I’m a busy marketing manager who wants to create a concise marketing overview for my business. I need your assistance in this process. Please ask the following ten questions, one at a time.– What is the name of your business?
– Please provide a link to your website.
– What industry does your business operate in?
– What products or services does your business offer?
– Who is your target audience or customer base?
– What is their pain point?
– What is the unique value proposition or key differentiator of your business?
– How long has your business been operating?
– What are the main goals and objectives of your business?
– Are there any specific marketing channels or strategies that you have used in the past?
Based on my answers, please generate a marketing overview to serve as a primer for future AI prompts. Leverage the 24 VIA character strengths where appropriate. Then, let’s check the marketing overview for accuracy, asking any clarifying follow-up questions if needed.
Then, Generate Your Customer Personas
In the same chat session, paste the following prompt:
Based on this marketing overview, I want to create a customer persona for my business. Please ask the following questions, one at a time, allowing me to skip questions I don’t know.
- What do you know about the demographics of your target customers (e.g., age, occupation)?
- What do you know about the psychographics of your target customers (e.g., interests, motivations)?
- How many distinct customer personas are you aiming to define?
- What customer journey stages are most critical for your business (awareness, consideration, decision)?
- Are there any specific interactions or research with existing customers that have provided valuable insights in the past?
Based on my answers, please generate draft customer personas. Leverage the 24 VIA character strengths where appropriate. Then, let’s check the generated personas for accuracy, asking any clarifying follow-up questions if needed.
Leverage AI-powered marketing insights with Media Shower. See how it works.
More Prompts for Refining Customer Personas
Once you’ve generated your draft personas, here are further AI prompts for refining the results.
- Learn about the Person:
List potential hobbies and interests for these customer personas.
- Learn about the Professional:
Detail the professional life, including job title and daily responsibilities, of these customer personas.
- Learn about the Psychographics:
Describe the values, fears, and aspirations of these personas.
- Understand Behavior:
Illustrate the daily behaviors and online browsing habits of these personas.
- Improve Tone and Style:
Rewrite this persona description to sound more formal/playful/sophisticated/etc.
- Create Persona Backstories:
Craft a brief backstory for these personas.
- Explore Familiarity Factors:
Describe the technology comfort level and preferred gadgets of these personas.
- Discover Engagement Enablers:
List the potential factors that would motivate these personas to purchase our product.
10 Best Practices for Creating Customer Personas
- Gather Real Data: Use real customer data, surveys, and interviews as the foundation for each persona.
- Segment Customers: Group customers by shared characteristics like behaviors, demographics, and purchasing patterns.
- Prioritize Depth: Focus on creating a few detailed personas instead of many superficial ones.
- Explore Psychographics: Go beyond demographics to include values, fears, aspirations, and lifestyles.
- Map Empathy: Understand and document what your customer thinks, feels, sees, says, and does.
- Maintain Consistency: Ensure a uniform format across all personas for easy comprehension and comparison.
- Map the Journey: Include the customer’s path from awareness to purchase.
- Revise Regularly: Regularly revisit and refine personas as market conditions, products, and audiences evolve.
- Engage Stakeholders: Engage with sales, product, and customer service teams for holistic insights.
- Visualize Personas: Use photos, icons, or infographics to make the personas visually engaging and memorable.
Craft targeted campaigns using Media Shower’s expert-driven persona insights. Click to try us out.
Frequently Asked Questions About Customer Personas
What is a customer persona?
A customer persona is a detailed representation of your target audience, including their demographics, interests, and behaviors. It's used to understand better and cater to the needs of potential customers.
Why create customer personas?
Customer personas provide insights into your audience's needs, preferences, and pain points, allowing businesses to effectively tailor products, services, and marketing strategies.
How many customer personas should a business have?
The number varies, but most businesses benefit from 3-5 detailed personas. Only create a few, which can dilute your marketing efforts.
Can I use online tools to generate customer personas?
Yes, there are various online tools (like this one!) that can aid in creating customer personas but always use actual customer data for best results.
How often should I update my customer personas?
Reviewing and updating your personas annually, or when significant changes occur in your product offerings, is a good practice.
Should personas be based only on current customers?
No. While current customers offer valuable insights, consider potential customers and market research to capture a broader audience.
Are demographic details the most critical aspect of a persona?
Demographics are essential, but psychographic details, like values, interests, and fears, often provide deeper insights into customer motivations.
What's the difference between customer segmentation and customer personas?
Customer segmentation divides your audience into groups based on shared characteristics, while personas create a detailed 'fictional' profile representing each segment.
Can I create customer personas without conducting surveys?
While surveys provide valuable direct insights, you can use sales data, customer reviews, and market research to create personas.
How do I ensure my team effectively uses customer personas?
Integrate personas into your marketing and sales strategies, provide regular team training, and keep the personas easily accessible to all relevant departments.
10 Protips for Creating Customer Personas
- Data Synthesis: Merge multiple sources. Combine survey results, analytics data, and sales feedback for a comprehensive persona.
- Persona Evolution: Stay agile with changes. Update your personas as you introduce new products or enter new markets.
- Visual Appeal: Enhance with graphics. Use infographics or icons to represent key persona traits, making them memorable visually.
- Collaboration Boost: Team brainstorming sessions. Encourage inter-departmental sessions to gather diverse insights for persona creation.
- Storytelling Element: Craft engaging backstories. A relatable narrative for each persona can help your team understand and empathize better.
- Emotional Connection: Dive deep into your customers’ feelings. Go beyond surface-level traits to uncover deep-seated emotions and motivations.
- Iterative Approach: Regularly test and refine. As campaigns roll out, analyze results to tweak and improve your personas.
- Feedback Importance: Prioritize customer input. Actively seek feedback from real customers to ensure your personas remain accurate and relevant.
Harness the power of AI for all your marketing materials with Media Shower. Click here for a demo.